Everything I’d initially designed, I’d finally built. And all was, well… not perfect. My storage was great for large materials, but I had a lot of small tools and materials that I needed to store, and I wanted to come up with a better solution for that.
Here’s a picture of the storage area as it was at the end of May 2018:
See that bare wall? Not a great use of the available space that room has to offer. One of the ideas I had that I couldn’t let go, was to continue to expand the storage vertically; from the desk to the horizontal plank above. But there were two major problems with this. The first was the socket in that corner (it is hidden on the image, but you can follow the cord from the vacuum and see where the it is plugged in). I had to keep that area free enough that there was room to plug stuff in – and out. That doesn’t just mean space for the plugs, it means space for your hands to pull on the plugs, and so on. The second problem was that I didn’t want to sacrifice the “secondary desk” functionality. Words can’t express how convenient it is to have a buffer for tools you don’t need immediately, but will need again shortly.
So I came up with the idea of vertically expanding the storage, but to make it only 15 centimeters deep (from the wall to the front of the extended storage). There was also something else that I wanted to do with the vertical storage. A friend of a friend gave me this metal tool storage system several months before, while I was in the early stages of putting my room together. He’d used it previously but stopped using it and just had it behind a cabinet somewhere unused, and thought I could use it for my room. And I thought it would be really cool if I could have this be part of my vertical storage, with this in the middle:
Before I started to do anything, I started drawing up plans in Inkscape, much as I did as I first started designing the hobby room. I quickly realised that much of what I had in mind was actually feasable, which gave me a great boost of confidence to continue to work on the designs. As I did, I realised that I’d have enough room for two of these boards. Of course, I only had the one. It took me a while to find it, as there was no branding on the board itself, but I eventually tracked it down to this Erro Storage Gereedschapswand product page by PimXL, and I bought myself a second one identical to the one I was given. I then finished up my plans on the basis of using both of these in the middle of my new vertical storage.
Here’s what I came up with:
Note that the bottom half isn’t new, that’s just copied right out of my original plans for the room so that I could see exactly what I was building on top of. Also note that on the right side of the left half of the image, I indicated the wall socket in red. I needed enough room to put in and pull out plugs and the entire plan was designed with this in mind. That part worked out really well in the drawing, but this design had some problems of its own, mostly questions of stability. I’ll go over those issues and the ways I solved them, and continued the build, in the next post in this series.
Thanks for reading! <3