I wanted to work on my main desk, but I did something else instead. I was still happy with my corner ‘box’ idea, but the walls in this room are viscious. I already made myself bleed several times just applying the pipe insulation. I couldn’t just put materials in that box and have them lean against that wall. It might damage my materials. I figured it would be better to solve that issue first.
I was happy with the way the pre-laminated hardboard panels I’d been using so far were working out, and I figured they’d be great (and affordable) way to solve this issue. By buying one additional large panel and cutting it to the right size, I could protect anything tossed into that box from the Walls of Doom.
Of course, this had its issues, like everything else in this project has had. I had to know the right way to cut one of the wall panels, because that wall has the sloped roof. And I had the height of the panel to consider, as well as the platform I’d already placed there. I decided to use cheap masking tape on the wall so I could draw “on the wall” to help me get my measurements right.
I measured twice, then still didn’t trust myself. I didn’t have money for another set of hardboard panels. I did, however, have a whole bunch of paper. So I taped a bunch of paper together using the same masking tape I’d used before, and did my angle cut there, first. That way I could be sure that I had my measurements really right by just holding it up against the wall. When I was satisfied with the result, it was pretty easy to align the paper with my hardboard panel, then grab a ruler and draw a line where my cut should go.
I did a test fitting, and it was a perfect fit, so I took my double-sided tape and gently rammed it into place. Then I pretty much repeated the process for the other wall:
The result was good, but it could be better. As a result of how wonky the entire room is, from the floor to the walls, small gaps appeared. So I asked around for advice, and decided would best match my desired result. After I spent some time researching several different types of caulking, I settled on a flexible white silicone caulking. Luckily, Action sells these for pretty cheap, too. I first tried to caulk to sides where the hardboard panels meet eachother:
and I was super happy with the result, so when I was finished, I caulked around the edges of the panels where they meet the wall as well to really give it a super clean look – and help make sure that dust and such can’t easily get behind the panels. Speaking of ‘clean’… sanding hardboard is anything but!
With these panels in place, I could start working on the main desk properly.