I had wanted to start building my vertical storage extension, but the leftover pre-laminated OSB panels I had were no good for this project as I didn’t have the ability to saw them into the right sizes on my own, and many would’ve been too small to begin with, so after I finished drawing up my plans, I made another panel cut layout image so I’d know for sure what I’d need — then bought everything I’d need to get started with the building process. Read more “How we got here (June 2018, part 2)”
Everything I’d initially designed, I’d finally built. And all was, well… not perfect. My storage was great for large materials, but I had a lot of small tools and materials that I needed to store, and I wanted to come up with a better solution for that.
Making the main desk was easy! It genuinely was. It was basically just a larger version of the storage space I’d already built. It did, however, take me over a month to put together because of the amount of work involved. Read more “How we got here (May 2018, part 1)”
I wanted to work on my main desk, but I did something else instead. I was still happy with my corner ‘box’ idea, but the walls in this room are viscious. I already made myself bleed several times just applying the pipe insulation. I couldn’t just put materials in that box and have them lean against that wall. It might damage my materials. I figured it would be better to solve that issue first.
For my main desk, I was pretty sure I couldn’t get a long-enough furniture panel upstairs, so I had it cut in half and planned to glue the two pieces back together once they were in the room. Here’s a free piece of advice to everyone else: don’t do that.
Before I was going to start building, I had to solve a power issue. The room only has one dual wall socket, which wasn’t going to be enough for the hobby room. Given the plans that I’d drawn up, it was in a really unfortunate position as well. I was going to have to add more sockets – a lot more. And I had to do it without drilling into the walls…